Saturday, August 9, 2014

Jenny Lewis talks about the 'Just One of the Guys' music video & Kristen (VH1 & The Daily Beast)





The Daily Beast Speaking of movie stars, you got a lot of your celeb friends out for the “Just One of the Guys” video, including Kristen Stewart, Anne Hathaway, and Brie Larson. How did that come about?

It was a concept that I’d been thinking about, and I wanted to direct the first video. Based on my Instagram account, where I make these little Lynchian movies, that’s how I convinced my record label that I could direct it. And then I could my friends up and told them, “Oh, my friends Annie and Kristen and Brie are going to be in this thing,” and they said, “OK, you can direct it.” My only goal as a director was to make everyone look badass, and I didn’t have to do much because those girls were born to do it.

Do you have any favorite moments from shooting the video? It seems like a very fun time.

It was so great. When Annie started breakdancing, I nearly lost my shit. That was all her idea and we just rolled the camera, and she proceeded to do the best/worst breakdancing I’d ever seen. I laughed so, so hard.

Was releasing the video through GQ meant to be ironic? To release this feminist anthem through what is essentially a lad mag that guys read at barbershops?

I chose it because I thought it would be funny to release it on the Gentlemen’s Quarterly website, but I genuinely love GQ. The food and drink stuff that they cover in that magazine is so sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?